Rural peace shattered by F1 car
CONCERNS have been raised over the high level of noise created by the testing of a Formula One car in Duxford. Racing team ING Renault tested their 200mph car on the runway at Imperial War Museum (IWM) Duxford for the second time in as many weeks, yesterday
CONCERNS have been raised over the high level of noise created by the testing of a Formula One car in Duxford.
Racing team ING Renault tested their 200mph car on the runway at Imperial War Museum (IWM) Duxford for the second time in as many weeks, yesterday (Wednesday).
Now, people living in the surrounding villages have raised concerns about the loud noise generated by the Grand Prix team's 2009 championship car, known as the R29.
District Councillor for Whittlesford Peter Topping said: "When this was first proposed, late last year, it was generally welcomed as a bit of excitement for the locality, with people recognising that as the IWM at Duxford has to maximise its income, why not make use of the runway in this way.
You may also want to watch:
"However, the first test day, earlier this month, provoked a good deal of comment and some strong criticism, with people living even on the far side of Whittlesford, miles from the airfield and its runway, saying that the noise is intolerable. It can be heard from inside houses even with all the windows closed.
"People whose horses are kept in the village told me that the noise disorientated and unsettled them. Someone said that at least when the Spitfires are going over on air show days there is something to look at, whereas this pervading racing engine noise just goes on and on."
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 6 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 7 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 8 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
Cllr Topping has arranged a meeting with the director of IWM Duxford next Thursday to discuss the issue.
The car being tested is an identical model to the one that Fernando Alonso and Nelson Piquet are using in the 2009 championship. With a top speed of 210mph, the R29 is capable of accelerating from 0-60mph in less than two seconds.
A spokeswoman for the museum said noise testers were monitoring noise levels in the surrounding villages and they were waiting for results.