Saffron Cookies are proving hugely popular with tourists
IT’S all about Saffron Walden at the town’s award-winning Tourist Information Centre with the introduction of delicious, home-baked, crocus-shaped saffron cookies.
The arrival of the first delivery coincided with the launch of the TIC’s new range of ‘I’m Just Mad About Saffron Walden’ gifts by local designer Phil Clements, including aprons and mugs.
The cookies have been made by Saffron Walden resident Shirley Golding.
TIC manager Rachel Thomas: “Once again, we are enjoying being in a position to showcase the work of local producers, and we are receiving excellent feedback from local customers and visitors alike, which encourages us to believe that we are right in our enthusiasm to freshen and modernise our range of gifts and souvenirs, and that there is a great will to celebrate all the wonderful things about our town.”
The entire first batch of cookies was purchased by a visiting group of enthusiastic Finnish children, so Mrs Golding had to bake a double batch the following day.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re not sure that the cookies will actually reach Finland!” said Rachel. “We think they’re more likely to have disappeared long before the children’s return home!”
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 3 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 4 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 New outreach Post Office for community
- 7 New interim chief executive for district council
- 8 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
- 9 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 10 Linton pupils join 362,000-strong school choir