Saffron Screen moves into digital age with sell-out launch party
A SELL-OUT crowd witnessed the dawn of a new era for Saffron Screen as the independent cinema launched its digital projection equipment.
Before the screening of its first film, Black Swan, chairman Rebecca del Tufo thanked the sponsors, grant funders and the community for their support during the ‘Going Digital’ fundraising campaign – which saw �67,000 raised in just 10 months. All but �5,000 was contributed by local businesses, organisations and individuals, including �25,000 of the total coming by way of individual donations and fundraising events.
Mrs del Tufo also praised the work of the Saffron Screen staff and volunteers, as well as recognising the involvement of campaign partners.
Speaking on the night, she said: “The support Saffron Screen received throughout the campaign through donations and at the fundraising events was both generous and overwhelming.
“The warmth that the local community has for Saffron Screen was evident and greatly appreciated. I am thrilled to confirm that, with the new digital equipment in place, Saffron Screen will continue to screen films and events for a long time to come.”
You may also want to watch:
Black Swan, Gnomeo and Juliet, and Metropolis were screened across the launch weekend with one lucky winner at each screening receiving a box of chocolates. From now on, the majority of films shown at Saffron Screen will be on digital, although the 35mm projector will be used from time to time. Having both options gives Saffron Screen the widest access to films.
To make the night even more special, two lucky members of the audience received �500 travel vouchers provided by Westgate of Saffron Walden.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 7 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 8 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
Photos of the launch party event can be viewed on Saffron Screen’s website saffronscreen.com