Saffron Screen moves into digital age with sell-out launch party
A SELL-OUT crowd witnessed the dawn of a new era for Saffron Screen as the independent cinema launched its digital projection equipment.
Before the screening of its first film, Black Swan, chairman Rebecca del Tufo thanked the sponsors, grant funders and the community for their support during the ‘Going Digital’ fundraising campaign – which saw �67,000 raised in just 10 months. All but �5,000 was contributed by local businesses, organisations and individuals, including �25,000 of the total coming by way of individual donations and fundraising events.
Mrs del Tufo also praised the work of the Saffron Screen staff and volunteers, as well as recognising the involvement of campaign partners.
Speaking on the night, she said: “The support Saffron Screen received throughout the campaign through donations and at the fundraising events was both generous and overwhelming.
“The warmth that the local community has for Saffron Screen was evident and greatly appreciated. I am thrilled to confirm that, with the new digital equipment in place, Saffron Screen will continue to screen films and events for a long time to come.”
You may also want to watch:
Black Swan, Gnomeo and Juliet, and Metropolis were screened across the launch weekend with one lucky winner at each screening receiving a box of chocolates. From now on, the majority of films shown at Saffron Screen will be on digital, although the 35mm projector will be used from time to time. Having both options gives Saffron Screen the widest access to films.
To make the night even more special, two lucky members of the audience received �500 travel vouchers provided by Westgate of Saffron Walden.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 5 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 6 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 7 BID hears that shopping locally in Covid pandemic has helped Walden
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 9 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 10 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
Photos of the launch party event can be viewed on Saffron Screen’s website saffronscreen.com