Saffron Screen moves into digital age with sell-out launch party
A SELL-OUT crowd witnessed the dawn of a new era for Saffron Screen as the independent cinema launched its digital projection equipment.
Before the screening of its first film, Black Swan, chairman Rebecca del Tufo thanked the sponsors, grant funders and the community for their support during the ‘Going Digital’ fundraising campaign – which saw �67,000 raised in just 10 months. All but �5,000 was contributed by local businesses, organisations and individuals, including �25,000 of the total coming by way of individual donations and fundraising events.
Mrs del Tufo also praised the work of the Saffron Screen staff and volunteers, as well as recognising the involvement of campaign partners.
Speaking on the night, she said: “The support Saffron Screen received throughout the campaign through donations and at the fundraising events was both generous and overwhelming.
“The warmth that the local community has for Saffron Screen was evident and greatly appreciated. I am thrilled to confirm that, with the new digital equipment in place, Saffron Screen will continue to screen films and events for a long time to come.”
Black Swan, Gnomeo and Juliet, and Metropolis were screened across the launch weekend with one lucky winner at each screening receiving a box of chocolates. From now on, the majority of films shown at Saffron Screen will be on digital, although the 35mm projector will be used from time to time. Having both options gives Saffron Screen the widest access to films.
To make the night even more special, two lucky members of the audience received �500 travel vouchers provided by Westgate of Saffron Walden.
- 1 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 2 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 8 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
Photos of the launch party event can be viewed on Saffron Screen’s website saffronscreen.com