Saffron Walden Brownies celebrate organisation’s centenary at Audley End Miniature Railway
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 Brownies from Saffron Walden and surrounding villages took part in the Big Brownie Birthday to celebrate the organisation’s centenary.
Brownies were founded when younger sisters of the newly-formed Girl Guides demanded something for them, too.
The youngsters enjoyed a ride on the train at Audley End Miniature Railway, above.
This was followed by ¬team-building challenges, wacky sticks, assault course, decorating cakes and craft activities in the grounds of St Mark’s College.
Newport Brownie Frances McGinley won the design-a-badge competition which was then made into an embroidered badge by Saffron Apparel as a permanent reminder of the centenary. The badges were distributed to all the Brownies as a memento of the ¬centenary locally.
You may also want to watch:
Girl Guiding is thriving in Saffron Walden, with many girls on the ¬waiting lists hoping to join.
But new leaders are needed for Rainbow and Brownie units in Great Chesterford and for Guides in Saffron Walden. No experience is needed as training and support is available.
- 1 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 2 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 3 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 4 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 5 Universal Credit: Help is still out there, says Essex County Council
- 6 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 7 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 8 More than 17,000 Uttlesford pensioners claim cash to help heat their homes
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
For information, visit girlguiding.org.uk or talk about local ¬opportunities and volunteering contact the district commissioner Geri Cowell on 01763 838764 or firstname.lastname@example.org.