Saffron Walden Brownies celebrate organisation’s centenary at Audley End Miniature Railway
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 Brownies from Saffron Walden and surrounding villages took part in the Big Brownie Birthday to celebrate the organisation’s centenary.
Brownies were founded when younger sisters of the newly-formed Girl Guides demanded something for them, too.
The youngsters enjoyed a ride on the train at Audley End Miniature Railway, above.
This was followed by ¬team-building challenges, wacky sticks, assault course, decorating cakes and craft activities in the grounds of St Mark’s College.
Newport Brownie Frances McGinley won the design-a-badge competition which was then made into an embroidered badge by Saffron Apparel as a permanent reminder of the centenary. The badges were distributed to all the Brownies as a memento of the ¬centenary locally.
You may also want to watch:
Girl Guiding is thriving in Saffron Walden, with many girls on the ¬waiting lists hoping to join.
But new leaders are needed for Rainbow and Brownie units in Great Chesterford and for Guides in Saffron Walden. No experience is needed as training and support is available.
- 1 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 6 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 7 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 8 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
For information, visit girlguiding.org.uk or talk about local ¬opportunities and volunteering contact the district commissioner Geri Cowell on 01763 838764 or firstname.lastname@example.org.