Saffron Walden Choral Society kick off new season with Handel masterpiece
A CHORAL society will start their new season with a Handel masterpiece performed with a traditional orchestra. The Saffron Walden Choral Society s new season features three of the greatest pieces of choral music ever written, starting with Handel s
A CHORAL society will start their new season with a Handel masterpiece performed with a traditional orchestra.
The Saffron Walden Choral Society's new season features three of the greatest pieces of choral music ever written, starting with Handel's Messiah on Saturday November 7.
Performed with a professional orchestra and soloists the concert will take place in St Mary's Church, Saffron Walden, and will celebrate the 250th anniversary of Handel's death.
The choral society, which was founded in 1883, will perform the enduring and popular work with an orchestra of period instruments at Baroque pitch.
You may also want to watch:
The Chameleon Arts Baroque Orchestra provides choral societies across the country with the opportunity to be accompanied on period instruments, and enable them to get closer to the orchestral sounds and colours that the composer intended, when performing the masterpieces of the Baroque and Classical periods.
Individually the members of the orchestra are acknowledged specialists in period performance practice and continue to work, often as principals, with the leading original instrument orchestras, including the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, The Academy of Ancient Music, The King's Consort, English Baroque Soloists, and Gabrieli Consort and Players.
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
- 10 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
Rehearsals for Messiah have started but new singers, with any level of experience, are always welcome to join the choir. For more details on how to join, contact membership secretary Carol Hunt on 01279 813392 or email email@example.com.
Tickets for the concert are �15 for adults, �12 for concessions and �1 for children. They can be purchased from Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre on the Market Square or by calling the society's box office on 01279 812849.
For more information visit www.swchoral.co.uk