Saffron Walden concert for Haiti earthquake victims
A SINGER/SONGWRITER from Saffron Walden is putting on a concert aimed at raising money for the Haiti earthquake victims. Joanna Eden has teamed up with Saffron Walden Baptist Church (SWBC) to organise the last-minute concert and add support to the cause.
A SINGER/SONGWRITER from Saffron Walden is putting on a concert aimed at raising money for the Haiti earthquake victims.
Joanna Eden has teamed up with Saffron Walden Baptist Church (SWBC) to organise the last-minute concert and add support to the cause.
Joanna said: "I've been watching the Haiti news footage in horror and wishing I had more cash to give. Then I realised I do have time, a voice and my fingers so why not use them to help?"
SWBC and Joanna have teamed up for other concerts which have been successful in the past and the hope is that they can rally support for Haiti.
You may also want to watch:
SWBC Minister, Rev Simon Mattholie, said: "The Haiti disaster has called for urgent action and I know the famously generous people of Saffron Walden must be looking for ways to help.
"This concert provides a swift, practical way in which we can all do our bit. As a church we are thrilled to partner with Joanna on this concert."
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 3 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
Joanna is now "hitting the phone" to ask other local musicians if they'd like to be part of the programme.
She added: "In 2003 when we organised 'Songs for Sudan' so many musicians gave their time and energy for free - it didn't surprise me as I know that musicians love to perform.
"The Baptist church is a hidden gem for musicians and music lovers alike; it's so well kitted out with sound and lighting equipment, and feels like a theatre inside. The acoustics are fabulous so it promises to be a magical evening."
The concert takes place on Friday February 5 at the Baptist church on Saffron Walden High Street. Tickets are available from Saffron Walden Tourist Information Office on Market Square and can be reserved by calling 01799 524002.
Tickets are priced at �10 and include two free glasses of wine or fruit juice. Doors open at 7.30pm.