Saffron Walden County High School Farm Club open day success
SAFFRON Walden County High School Farm Club held an “excellent” open day on Sunday - thanks to a break in the inclement weather.
Having prepared for the rain many of the stalls were indoors, but outdoors youngsters enjoyed the donkey rides and bouncy castle and were able to climb onto the Massey Ferguson tractor supplied by Mark Weatherhead. Visitors were entertained by the duo Legal Aliens and a barbecue and bar were provided by the Kings Arms.
Farm manager Dave Crosby said: “It was an excellent day out for the family with number of craft stalls, raffle, tombola and teas served by parents on the committee. Visitors were able to view our Dexter cattle, see some of the Ryeland sheep being sheared, and feed our pet lamb. Our students ran a Pet’s Corner and bedding plant and vegetable stall as well as collecting and selling our renowned eggs.”
Despite a below par attendance the club – which has annual day-to-day running costs of �8,000 – still made a profit of �1,300.
“We are a very small community group whose committee work extremely hard in organising these events and I would like to thank them for their outstanding efforts,” added Mr Crosby.
You may also want to watch:
“I would also like to thank the advertisers in our programmes and those who supplied raffle prizes. Many are local businesses and trades who have supported us for many years and I would encourage all to support them as they have supported us.”
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal