Saffron Walden: Damage caused to Anglo American War Memorial during small fire
- Credit: Archant
SOME time during Saturday evening (September 7) individuals collected branches and hedging from the area of Bridge End Garden and set fire to it at the Anglo American War Memorial.
Considerable damage, estimated at between £500-£600, has been done to the concrete base of the memorial. It was particularly disappointing as the memorial attracted a number of American visitors that day who were combining their trip to the Duxford Air Show and visited the memorial on Sunday.
The memorial is separated from the playing fields by a circular beech hedge. Within the circular beech hedge there is brick memorial bearing 26 white stone plaques bearing the names of the dead. The memorial was dedicated in 1955.
While wrong to apportion blame to any group of people, it may be a useful time for those responsible for this mindless act of vandalism to spare a thought for those who sacrificed their lives for this country and for the freedom that they currently enjoy.
As a simple gesture of respect to this ultimate commitment, please leave these monuments alone and when visiting them, treat them with the respect that they deserve.
You may also want to watch:
The memorial will be closed while repairs take place and the police have agreed to increase patrols in the area.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
- 3 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 6 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 7 Saffron Striders take advantage of late summer warmth to stretch their legs far and wide
- 8 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 9 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 10 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir
Saffron Walden Town Council