Saffron Walden: Damage caused to Anglo American War Memorial during small fire
- Credit: Archant
SOME time during Saturday evening (September 7) individuals collected branches and hedging from the area of Bridge End Garden and set fire to it at the Anglo American War Memorial.
Considerable damage, estimated at between £500-£600, has been done to the concrete base of the memorial. It was particularly disappointing as the memorial attracted a number of American visitors that day who were combining their trip to the Duxford Air Show and visited the memorial on Sunday.
The memorial is separated from the playing fields by a circular beech hedge. Within the circular beech hedge there is brick memorial bearing 26 white stone plaques bearing the names of the dead. The memorial was dedicated in 1955.
While wrong to apportion blame to any group of people, it may be a useful time for those responsible for this mindless act of vandalism to spare a thought for those who sacrificed their lives for this country and for the freedom that they currently enjoy.
As a simple gesture of respect to this ultimate commitment, please leave these monuments alone and when visiting them, treat them with the respect that they deserve.
You may also want to watch:
The memorial will be closed while repairs take place and the police have agreed to increase patrols in the area.
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 5 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 6 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
Saffron Walden Town Council