Saffron Walden: Damage caused to Anglo American War Memorial during small fire
- Credit: Archant
SOME time during Saturday evening (September 7) individuals collected branches and hedging from the area of Bridge End Garden and set fire to it at the Anglo American War Memorial.
Considerable damage, estimated at between £500-£600, has been done to the concrete base of the memorial. It was particularly disappointing as the memorial attracted a number of American visitors that day who were combining their trip to the Duxford Air Show and visited the memorial on Sunday.
The memorial is separated from the playing fields by a circular beech hedge. Within the circular beech hedge there is brick memorial bearing 26 white stone plaques bearing the names of the dead. The memorial was dedicated in 1955.
While wrong to apportion blame to any group of people, it may be a useful time for those responsible for this mindless act of vandalism to spare a thought for those who sacrificed their lives for this country and for the freedom that they currently enjoy.
As a simple gesture of respect to this ultimate commitment, please leave these monuments alone and when visiting them, treat them with the respect that they deserve.
The memorial will be closed while repairs take place and the police have agreed to increase patrols in the area.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 5 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 6 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 9 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
Saffron Walden Town Council