Saffron Walden dancers ready to perform in London
- Credit: Archant
Dancers from Saffron Walden County High will be dancing at Sadler’s Wells Theatre on Saturday, July 9 as part of a national schools’ dance contest.
In March, Saffron Walden County High School Youth Dance Company entered a competition run by Step into Dance, a partnership between The Jack Petchey Foundation and the Royal Academy of Dance. This is the largest secondary school dance programme in the UK.
Dance teacher Becky Edwards choreographed and entered a contemporary dance piece for 19 county high pupils based on the characters from Alice in Wonderland.
This was the first time that Essex schools had been included in the competition and over 400 performers took part from schools across London and Chelmsford.
County High was shortlisted after the pupils’ first performance and had to re-audition the piece at the Rambert Studios where 30 schools were then narrowed down to 14 to be chosen for the final performance this Saturday called Step Live.
You may also want to watch:
The show is from 7pm to 9pm. Tickets from www.sadlerswells.com.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Researchers collaborate with students in protein art project
- 8 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 9 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing