Saffron Walden designer boutique targeted in £17,000 ‘smash and grab’
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden boutique was raided and thousands of pounds worth of clothing stolen in a “smash and grab” in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Burglars demolished one of the doors at Fanny & Frank on Church Street between 5.45am and 6am, before stealing around £17,000 worth of clothes.
Designer jeans by James costing £4,500 were one of about a hundred items of men’s and women’s clothing taken in the raid.
Manager of the store Alison Jones said she was “extremely shocked” by the damage.
“The burglars bashed down the door that faces onto Church Street, and presumably took what they could in armfuls to their car,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Jones suspected the burglars were disturbed, as only clothes in the easily accessible part of the store were taken.
The owner of the store was alerted by a member of the public, who heard a great “banging and smashing,” Ms Jones said.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 3 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 4 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 5 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 9 West Essex villages fear becoming 'trapped' by road closures
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
“We worked the whole day on Sunday to clear up the debris and get everything back in order.
The rails were empty and lovely designer jeans gone,” she added.
Police are looking for a white male who was seen wearing an orange top and driving off in a new style white VW golf from the store at the time of the incident.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Saffron Walden police on 101.