Saffron Walden designer boutique targeted in £17,000 ‘smash and grab’
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden boutique was raided and thousands of pounds worth of clothing stolen in a “smash and grab” in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Burglars demolished one of the doors at Fanny & Frank on Church Street between 5.45am and 6am, before stealing around £17,000 worth of clothes.
Designer jeans by James costing £4,500 were one of about a hundred items of men’s and women’s clothing taken in the raid.
Manager of the store Alison Jones said she was “extremely shocked” by the damage.
“The burglars bashed down the door that faces onto Church Street, and presumably took what they could in armfuls to their car,” she said.
Ms Jones suspected the burglars were disturbed, as only clothes in the easily accessible part of the store were taken.
The owner of the store was alerted by a member of the public, who heard a great “banging and smashing,” Ms Jones said.
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 School activities and sports in pictures
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 8 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 9 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
“We worked the whole day on Sunday to clear up the debris and get everything back in order.
The rails were empty and lovely designer jeans gone,” she added.
Police are looking for a white male who was seen wearing an orange top and driving off in a new style white VW golf from the store at the time of the incident.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Saffron Walden police on 101.