Saffron Walden eco-group may fold unless new members come forward at Special General Meeting
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden eco-group is at risk of becoming extinct unless new officers can be found at a Special General Meeting on Friday (January 22).
Walden in Transition (WiT), which is a community organisation aimed at making the town more sustainable, will decide on its future at the meeting after not enough people turned up to the group’s AGM in November to make a decision.
Chairman Vyvyan Veal and his wife, Gay, the group’s coordinator, stated they were stepping down at the AGM as they plan to travel for a year in May.
That leaves only one core group officer, treasurer Michael Gould, and if new members do not come forward, the group runs the risk of folding completely.
Mr Veal said: “The AGM in November was declared inquorate, as the quorum for an AGM is 10 and only 6 supporters turned up. So it was agreed then to hold the Special General Meeting to decide the future of WiT.
You may also want to watch:
“We are hopeful that someone will come forward tomorrow night in order for the group to continue and are appealing to the community to attend the meeting and get involved.”
Mr Veal said he and his wife are off for a pilgrimage around the world, but the couple will be travelling by land and sea due to the carbon impact of air travel.
- 1 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 2 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 5 New outreach Post Office for community
- 6 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 7 NHS volunteers clock up more than 10,000 hours during pandemic
- 8 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 9 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 10 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
Walden in Transition’s Special General Meeting will take place at Fairycroft House at 7.30pm on Friday (January 22) and cheese and wine will be served.