Saffron Walden families still homeless a week after flats flooded
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Four families remain homeless, a week after flooding forced them to evacuate their flats.
Firefighters were called to Lime Avenue last Wednesday after a damaged pipe led to the flooding of the bathroom, hallway and stairs.
The nine residents of the Hastoe Housing Association property were initially told they would be back in on Thursday, but a further problem with a malfunctioning stopcock on Sunday meant the flats were still uninhabitable at the time of going to press.
Since Wednesday night, the residents have been put up in hotels in Saffron Walden and Stansted, but are keen to get back to their homes.
Speaking outside the flooded flats on Thursday, one female resident, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Reporter: “There’s no electricity, there’s water everywhere. The condition we’ve had to live in has been disgusting.
“When we moved in there were things that hadn’t been finished or done that should have been done before everyone moved in.”
Philip Standen, managing director for Persimmon Homes Essex, which built the property, said: “As soon as we were made aware of the issue we immediately took steps to rectify the situation. We remain committed to ensuring that the problem does not recur and that disruption to the residents is kept to a minimum.”
- 1 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 2 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 3 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 4 Thaxted businesses meet Kemi Badenoch MP to talk about Small Business Saturday
- 5 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 6 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 7 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
- 8 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
- 9 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 10 Bumper weekend of Christmas events set for Saffron Walden
A spokesman for Hastoe Housing Association said residents would be re-housed at the earliest possible opportunity.