Saffron Walden family homeless after tumble dryer fire
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden family has been left homeless after a fire broke out at their house.
A fire, starting in a tumble dryer, broke out in a home in Whiteshot Way on Saturday evening (July 9).
Firefighters arrived to find an outbuilding on fire and the family’s home was heavily smoke-logged.
Due to the damage, the house is inhabitable and the Red Cross Victim Support unit was sent to help the family.
The family was alerted to the fire by a fire alarm and was able to get out of the house without harm.
Station manager Paul Curtis said: “Incidents like this show the importance of a working smoke alarm in your home. Smoke alarms provide vital early warning at the first sign of fire giving you and your family time to get safely out of the building.”
“The fire was caused by the family’s tumble dryer. We are urging everyone who owns a tumble dryer to take extra care when using their appliances.”
- 1 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 2 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Uttlesford District Council to take part in energy rebate scheme
- 5 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Alice in Wonderland cast announced for Bridge End Gardens performances in Saffron Walden
- 7 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 8 Simple Minds set for Audley End concert ahead of releasing new album Direction Of The Heart
- 9 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 10 Sir Tom Jones, Simple Minds, Elbow and the Bootleg Beatles to headline four nights of concerts at Audley End
The fire service recommends the following tumble dryer safety advice:
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
Clean the filters after each use to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
Ensure that the appliance has its own plug socket. Do not overload extension leads. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.