Saffron Walden firefighters called to kitchen fire
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire at a sheltered accomodation block in Ashdon on Wednesday afternoon (November 4).
The fire was contained to the cooker in the third floor flat and was out when two crews from Saffron Walden arrived.
Fire officers used a positive pressured fan to clear smoke from the property.
Station Manager Paul Curtis said: “It is thanks to a working smoke alarm that the resident and warden were alerted to a fire in her kitchen. The wardens quick response to smoother the fire with a fire blanket prevented the fire spreading further.
“More fires start in the kitchen than any other room and cooking is the most common cause of fires in the home.”
You may also want to watch:
Essex Fire and Rescue Service have issued the following kitchen safety tips:
Keep your oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 6 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 7 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town
- 8 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 9 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 10 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
Avoid leaving cooking unattended.
If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker.
Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
Take care when cooking with hot oil, it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
The best way to stay safe in the home is to fit and regularly test smoke alarms. If you would like to arrange for a free home fire safety visit, during which smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge, then call 0300 303 0088 or email email@example.com