Saffron Walden flower show is a blooming marvel
ENTRY numbers may have been down on last year, but an annual flower show still proved to be a blooming success.
Saffron Walden Horticultural Society held its Spring Daffodil Show at the Golden Acre Community Centre in Ross Close on Saturday.
Exhibits were of an extremely high standard but, because of the early appearance this year of all spring flowers and the virtual disappearance in particular of daffodils and tulips by the middle of April, numbers fell from 2010.
However, members excelled themselves and daffodils were still the dominant exhibits at the show – and made for a fantastic display.
Robin Crouchman who swept the board with his daffodils, also grew the best in show daffodil, called ‘Ombersley’.
You may also want to watch:
Tulips, primulas, other seasonal garden flowers, flowering shrubs and houseplants made up the rest of the plant exhibits.
In the domestic section there was the usual display of delicious looking cakes and other food, with Annie Erdman sweeping the board. Homemade wine was also represented.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 6 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 7 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 8 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 9 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 10 Team Laptop launches to support children's learning
The children’s entries were interesting and imaginative. Charlotte Staniforth gained the most points overall but Danielle Kidd won the prize for the best exhibit with her decorated egg entitled ‘EggBob, RoundPants’, inspired by kids’ cartoon character SpongeBob, SquarePants.
The society’s Summer Rose Show (June 18) and Autumn Show (September 17) will take place at the same venue.