Saffron Walden flower show is a blooming marvel
ENTRY numbers may have been down on last year, but an annual flower show still proved to be a blooming success.
Saffron Walden Horticultural Society held its Spring Daffodil Show at the Golden Acre Community Centre in Ross Close on Saturday.
Exhibits were of an extremely high standard but, because of the early appearance this year of all spring flowers and the virtual disappearance in particular of daffodils and tulips by the middle of April, numbers fell from 2010.
However, members excelled themselves and daffodils were still the dominant exhibits at the show – and made for a fantastic display.
Robin Crouchman who swept the board with his daffodils, also grew the best in show daffodil, called ‘Ombersley’.
You may also want to watch:
Tulips, primulas, other seasonal garden flowers, flowering shrubs and houseplants made up the rest of the plant exhibits.
In the domestic section there was the usual display of delicious looking cakes and other food, with Annie Erdman sweeping the board. Homemade wine was also represented.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 5 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 6 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 7 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 8 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 9 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 10 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
The children’s entries were interesting and imaginative. Charlotte Staniforth gained the most points overall but Danielle Kidd won the prize for the best exhibit with her decorated egg entitled ‘EggBob, RoundPants’, inspired by kids’ cartoon character SpongeBob, SquarePants.
The society’s Summer Rose Show (June 18) and Autumn Show (September 17) will take place at the same venue.