Saffron Walden girl, 10, plays Matilda in her West End Debut
- Credit: Archant
A 10-year-old girl from Saffron Walden has taken on one of modern literature’s most beloved characters in her West End debut.
Violet Tucker was cast in the title role of Matilda The Musical last year for an initial six months – which has now been extended till September 2015.
Speaking about her role, she said: “I’ve really enjoyed singing and acting to a live audience and being part of a big backstage family, as well as getting to meet lots of new people.”
Performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company, the hit musical is based on Roald Dahl’s tale of the exceptionally gifted Matilda, who encounters difficulties from adults in her life such as Miss Trunchbull, her bullish headteacher, as well as her neglectful parents.
Other memorable characters include the aptly named Miss Honey, as well as Matilda’s fellow pupil, the chocolate cake-eating Bruce Bogtrotter.
Violet, who is one of four girls playing Matilda on stage in the musical, was unfamiliar with Dahl’s works before she landed the role, but since laying her eyes on the script has now become a firm fan of the author.
The talented primary school pupil, who played Blossom in a performance of Dick Whittington in Harlow in 2013, is also in the process of writing lyrics for a song, and intends to develop her career in singing and acting on TV, theatre and radio. Singing is Violet’s main passion though, and she has aspirations to become a solo artist one day.
- 1 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 2 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 5 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 6 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Matilda The Musical is at the Cambridge Theatre in London. For tickets and further information, visit matildathemusical.com or call the box office on 0844 412 4652.