Saffron Walden group's mission to visit Brazilian slums
AN intrepid band of explorers from Saffron Walden are soon jetting off to the slums of Brazil on a mission trip to experience a different culture.
AN intrepid band of explorers from Saffron Walden are soon jetting off to the slums of Brazil on a mission trip to "experience a different culture".
The seven teenagers and four adults, who are all members of Saffron Walden Baptist Church, will be staying in a community centre in the middle of Belo Horizonte slum.
They will take part in different activities including cleaning, painting, school dramas and teaching English. They also plan to visit some of the people who live on the streets and spend some time working with the Christian charity, Youth with a mission.
Youth pastor at the baptist church, Liz Vilela, said: "It will a great opportunity to see how other people live and to experience a different culture.
You may also want to watch:
"I have lived and worked in the community centre where we will be going and it really changed me. Some children don't have proper shoes and live on a tiny amount of food each day.
"To see how people of a different culture live made me really think about myself and how I should be grateful with what I have."
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 3 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 8 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call
Various fundraising events have already taken place to help pay for the mission trip, including an evening with musician Joanna Eden and auction that raised over �3000.
And, on Friday May 14, eight men will be setting out to cycle from York to Saffron Walden - a total of 210 miles - in order to raise money for the mission. If you would like to sponsor them call the Church on 01799 523031. For more information on the charity, YWAM Brazil, visit bhcentro.jocum.org.br