Saffron Walden joins winter salt bag scheme
SAFFRON Walden will again be participating in the Essex 2012/13 winter salt bag scheme.
Essex County Council (ECC) is keen to encourage communities to help themselves during periods of heavy snow. One tonne of rock salt will be made available to the town.
Each delivery consists of packaged 20kg sealed bags for ease of storage and distribution. The salt is for use by the community on the local highway.
Invitations from the public to benefit from this programme are now invited.
Town clerk Simon Lloyd said: “Ideally we are looking to attract able-bodied volunteers, capable of carrying a 20kg weight, and who are willing to assist by clearing the snow and spreading the salt in priority areas.
You may also want to watch:
“Regrettably the town council cannot spread the salt themselves, though they will help wherever they can.”
Priority areas must be part of the public highway network. The salt provided as part of this scheme is for use on the public highway only and not for any other area such as private driveways.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 3 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 4 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 5 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 6 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 7 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 8 Victorian Horses and riders wow at Audley End event
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
If you are able to act as a volunteer and store four bags in the coming weeks, contact the town council offices on 01799 516501 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org