Saffron Walden joins winter salt bag scheme
SAFFRON Walden will again be participating in the Essex 2012/13 winter salt bag scheme.
Essex County Council (ECC) is keen to encourage communities to help themselves during periods of heavy snow. One tonne of rock salt will be made available to the town.
Each delivery consists of packaged 20kg sealed bags for ease of storage and distribution. The salt is for use by the community on the local highway.
Invitations from the public to benefit from this programme are now invited.
Town clerk Simon Lloyd said: “Ideally we are looking to attract able-bodied volunteers, capable of carrying a 20kg weight, and who are willing to assist by clearing the snow and spreading the salt in priority areas.
You may also want to watch:
“Regrettably the town council cannot spread the salt themselves, though they will help wherever they can.”
Priority areas must be part of the public highway network. The salt provided as part of this scheme is for use on the public highway only and not for any other area such as private driveways.
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 7 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Roger Hirst remains in place in Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
If you are able to act as a volunteer and store four bags in the coming weeks, contact the town council offices on 01799 516501 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org