Saffron Walden landlord fined for letting ‘dangerous and poor’ housing
PUBLISHED: 08:24 10 May 2017 | UPDATED: 08:24 10 May 2017
A private landlord in Saffron Walden has been fined for letting “dangerous and poor” housing after a fire broke out at her property last year.
Sarah Anne Henson, of Whiteshot Way, pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on April 27 to offences relating to matters of fire safety and general disrepair under the Housing Act 2004 and the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation Regulations 2006.
The case was brought against Henson by Uttlesford District Council (UDC) following a fire at her property on September 7.
No-one was injured in the blaze at the property, which was rented by several tenants, but a cat died.
Henson was fined £286 and ordered to pay costs of £820 to the council.
Roz Millership, assistant director of housing at UDC, said: “This case highlights the need for all landlords to be aware of their legal duties and responsibilities towards the management of their properties.
“It also sends out a strong message that the council will not tolerate landlords who let dangerous and poor accommodation for residents, and that we will take action when it is appropriate to do so.
“However, it should be pointed out that the council seeks prosecutions of this type only as a last resort.
“We are committed to working with all landlords so that they understand their responsibilities, and we are here to advise and assist them to improve their properties.”
Any landlords seeking advice, or tenants wishing to report poor housing can contact UDC’s environmental health team on 01799 510482 or email email@example.com.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.