Saffron Walden Library gets self service overhaul
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden library is to shut for one-and-a-half days days to improve its facilities for visitors.
The library will be closed after business on Tuesday, May 6 until Friday, May 9 due to the installation of upgraded RFID self-service machines.
These Radio Frequency Identification units allow library users to check out, return and renew their loaned items themselves, leaving the library assistants free to help customers make use of the library facilities and to deal with enquiries.
The units are easy to use; it simply involves scanning your library card, placing items on the pad and following the touch screen instructions. Items don’t even need to be scanned individually; with RFID tag technology the unit detects each item, whether it’s a book, DVD or any other library item. The unit then prints out a receipt confirming the loans or renewals and the dates they are due back.
The upgraded machines accept payments and give a wider range of options to those that are being replaced.
You may also want to watch:
With around 20,000 visits a day to Essex libraries, the need for self-service machines is vast.
Essex county councillor John Jowers, cabinet member for libraries, communities and planning, said: “We are confident that the new machines will make borrowing items from Essex libraries quicker and more convenient.
- 1 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 7 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 8 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
“The installation will improve the efficiency of library services and we hope it is as well received in Saffron Walden Library as it has been in other Essex libraries.”
While Saffron Walden Library is closed, the nearest libraries for customers are at Thaxted, Stansted and Dunmow. Check the website essex.gov.uk/libraries for details of opening hours.