Saffron Walden Lions celebrate with donation to Injured Soldiers Fund
- Credit: Archant
A PROLIFIC fund-raising club has celebrated an important milestone in its history by handing over £1,500 to support injured soldiers.
Saffron Walden Lions Club celebrated its 30th Charter Anniversary, marking three decades since it was formed in 1983, at 1 Myddleton Place. Members and guests came together to recognise the valuable contribution the club has made to the town and the surrounding villages over the years.
Club president Alan Johnson spoke of the achievements, and highlighted the current activities including the annual Michaelmas Fayre, the Easter Eggs raffles and the Appliance Loan Service which offers medical equipment on short term loan.
Proceeds from the Easter Egg raffles this year – which amounted to £1,500 – were donated to the Injured Soldiers Fund based at Carver Barracks. Capt Alan Dale, who was guest of honour at the celebration event, collected a cheque on behalf of the fund.
The club has previously raised substantial funds which it has used to support local, national and international causes including the East Anglian Children’s Hospices, Marie Curie Cancer Care and the Essex Air Ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
• Saffron Walden Lions Club is always looking for new members and would like to hear from local people who need support. Call on 01799 543153 for more information.
- 1 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out