Saffron Walden Lions celebrate with donation to Injured Soldiers Fund
- Credit: Archant
A PROLIFIC fund-raising club has celebrated an important milestone in its history by handing over £1,500 to support injured soldiers.
Saffron Walden Lions Club celebrated its 30th Charter Anniversary, marking three decades since it was formed in 1983, at 1 Myddleton Place. Members and guests came together to recognise the valuable contribution the club has made to the town and the surrounding villages over the years.
Club president Alan Johnson spoke of the achievements, and highlighted the current activities including the annual Michaelmas Fayre, the Easter Eggs raffles and the Appliance Loan Service which offers medical equipment on short term loan.
Proceeds from the Easter Egg raffles this year – which amounted to £1,500 – were donated to the Injured Soldiers Fund based at Carver Barracks. Capt Alan Dale, who was guest of honour at the celebration event, collected a cheque on behalf of the fund.
The club has previously raised substantial funds which it has used to support local, national and international causes including the East Anglian Children’s Hospices, Marie Curie Cancer Care and the Essex Air Ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
• Saffron Walden Lions Club is always looking for new members and would like to hear from local people who need support. Call on 01799 543153 for more information.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 6 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 7 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 8 Care home chef Ben Morris shortlisted for award
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler