Saffron Walden local named Pub of the Year 2012
A TOWN centre pub has been given a glowing reference after picking up a prestigious award.
The Old English Gentleman was this week announced as the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) North West Essex branch Pub of the Year 2012.
The Gold Street establishment was selected by members for the ‘consistently excellent quality and range of beer, its ambience and welcoming atmosphere and its consistent adherence to the campaign’s principles’.
CAMRA branch chairman Peter Stanley said: “We are delighted to present this award to the OEG, reflecting as it does the hard work and commitment shown over a number of years by licensee Jeff Leach.
“It is also appropriate, on the eve of the launch of CAMRA’s national Community Pubs Month, that our award should go to a town centre pub that is, in every sense of the word, a community pub.
You may also want to watch:
“At a time when many pubs including some in Saffron Walden, are closing or under severe threat, Jeff has shown that a well-managed pub serving outstanding beer can thrive.”
Mr Leach was delighted with the award, adding: “After 14 years at the OEG we could not have received a more worthwhile accolade.”
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 4 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 6 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 7 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 8 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 9 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
- 10 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free