Saffron Walden man wins special awards for 75 blood donations
A MAN from Saffron Walden has been recognised for his long-standing commitment to donating blood. Chris Dyson was presented with a crystal plate from the National Blood Service for making 75 blood donations. NHS Blood and Transplant manager, Ruth Greena
A MAN from Saffron Walden has been recognised for his long-standing commitment to donating blood.
Chris Dyson was presented with a crystal plate from the National Blood Service for making 75 blood donations.
NHS Blood and Transplant manager, Ruth Greenaway, said: "Only three per cent of donors reach their 75th donation, while less than one per cent make it to 100 donations.
"We are pleased to be able to thank these incredible people who have helped save so many lives over the years. We really hope more people follow their example and do their bit to help keep blood stocks healthy."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Dyson was one of 63 dedicated blood donors to be honoured at an awards ceremony at Homerton College, Cambridge.
Each blood donation can potentially save the lives of up to three people, so every donor at the ceremony could lay claim to saving more than 225 lives.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 5 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 8 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 9 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 10 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
Guest speaker, Nisa Heys, who was diagnosed with thalassaemia at five months old and needs regular blood transfusions in order to cope with the condition, provided the ceremony with a moving account about how blood donations have saved her life.
To be potentially able to give blood you must be aged between 17 to 65, weigh over 7st 12lbs (50kg) and be in good health. There is no upper age limit for blood donation if you have donated in the last two years.
For more information about giving blood or to book an appointment please visit www.blood.co.uk or call the donor line number on 0300 123 23 23.