Saffron Walden Maze Festival 2013 starts today (Friday August 8)
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden Maze Festival 2013 gest under way today – and there’ll be something for everyone to enjoy.
Saffron Walden is alone in the UK in having two historic mazes – the ancient turf labyrinth on the Common and the Victorian hedge maze in Bridge End Garden.
Mazes have many different aspects to them – historic, fun and games, spiritual and artistic – and they make this town of ours special.
To celebrate that uniqueness and to explore man’s fascination with mazes and labyrinths over the centuries, the Saffron Walden Initiative is once again holding a giant festival, starting today and continuing until Monday (August 19).
There’ll be an array of events and entertainment for people of all ages and interests, from maze-themed games and race to talks and exhibitions,
You may also want to watch:
And it has brought together the whole community, such as the recently-formed Town Team who have linked up to run a competition, as well as children and adults who have been busily making their own mazes.
“People have been really positive and like the fact we’ve organised things free as much as possible. It doesn’t exclude anyone,” said Barbara Wilcox, of the Saffron Walden Initiative.
- 1 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 2 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 3 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 4 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 5 'Pup Idol' comes to Saffron Walden as search for Wizard of Oz pooch Toto begins
- 6 Juniors the toast of Saffron Walden Golf Club after double championship success
- 7 Q&A: Elsenham WI President Moyra Jackson
- 8 NCTJ staff raise more than £7,000 for journalism bursary
- 9 There With You This Winter: Walden Mayor backs our campaign
- 10 Saffron Striders hit the Cambridge Half Marathon en masse
“We wanted to help bring people into the town to support the local economy and provide something interesting and fun for everyone.
“This is a very wide ranging festival, from serious information, exhibitions and talks to lots of mazes around the town for people to enjoy and have fun with.”
For the full programme of events, click on the link to the top right of this page.