Saffron Walden Maze Festival 2013 starts today (Friday August 8)
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden Maze Festival 2013 gest under way today – and there’ll be something for everyone to enjoy.
Saffron Walden is alone in the UK in having two historic mazes – the ancient turf labyrinth on the Common and the Victorian hedge maze in Bridge End Garden.
Mazes have many different aspects to them – historic, fun and games, spiritual and artistic – and they make this town of ours special.
To celebrate that uniqueness and to explore man’s fascination with mazes and labyrinths over the centuries, the Saffron Walden Initiative is once again holding a giant festival, starting today and continuing until Monday (August 19).
There’ll be an array of events and entertainment for people of all ages and interests, from maze-themed games and race to talks and exhibitions,
And it has brought together the whole community, such as the recently-formed Town Team who have linked up to run a competition, as well as children and adults who have been busily making their own mazes.
“People have been really positive and like the fact we’ve organised things free as much as possible. It doesn’t exclude anyone,” said Barbara Wilcox, of the Saffron Walden Initiative.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 3 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 5 Could you be named the Essex Young Musician of the Year?
- 6 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 8 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 9 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
“We wanted to help bring people into the town to support the local economy and provide something interesting and fun for everyone.
“This is a very wide ranging festival, from serious information, exhibitions and talks to lots of mazes around the town for people to enjoy and have fun with.”
For the full programme of events, click on the link to the top right of this page.