Saffron Walden MP and mayor add their support to English Tourism Week
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden’s MP Sir Alan Haselhurst and mayor David Watson added their support to the launch of English Tourism Week by visiting the town’s award-winning Tourist Information Centre.
Tourism is essential to the economy, generating £97 billion each year, while the industry employs in excess of two million people and supports thousands of businesses, both directly and indirectly,
Mark Starte, a duty manager at the TIC, added that tourism has “an interdependent relationship with a range of sectors including farming, transport, retailing, sports, museums and the arts”.
English Tourism Week is a week-long celebration of events showcasing the quality and vibrancy of visitor experiences and the value the industry brings to the nation.
The spotlight has been turned on Saffron Walden in another way this week as it was named in The Sunday Times’ Top 10 Best Places to Live in the east of England.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel Thomas, also of the TIC, said: “It is not the first time the town has attracted this kind of positive, national publicity.
“It is particularly relevant in English Tourism Week that we receive the kind of news which fixes in the touring public’s minds the image of Saffron Walden as an attractive and vibrant destination with a wealth of cultural, recreational and retail opportunities.”
- 1 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 2 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 3 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 4 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 7 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
- 8 Historic books have new 'long loan' home to help researchers
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
To find out more about English Tourism Week - which started on Saturday - visit englishtourismweek.co.uk