Saffron Walden mums call on Essex residents to vote for them in national business competition
TWO full-time mums from Saffron Walden, who run their own baby care company, are in the running for a �50,000 cash prize in a national competition - and they’ve called on the public to help.
Sarah Ockwell-Smith, who started BabyCalm in 2007, and Charlotte Phillips, who joined in six months ago, offer early parenting classes, literature and baby care products.
Their aim is to empower new parents to confidently enjoy the first few months with their new-born baby.
The innovation of the company has seen it make the final three in the eastern region of the ‘Take One Small Step’ competition run by Barclays. The winner will receive �50,000 - a massive step forward for the business.
Mrs Phillips said: “We want to set up an office which will employ local people. There is a lot we can do to benefit Saffron Walden.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope to train 200 teachers in the area in the next two to three years.”
To win the prize money mother-of-four Mrs Ockwell-Smith and Mrs Phillips must now drum up public votes by enlisting the support of family, friends, colleagues and the community to get behind them to help them win.
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
- 10 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
“We are not asking for votes so that we can pocket the money. Every penny will be put back in to the economy,” explained Mrs Phillips, who has a 17-month-old son.
“We have not drawn a salary from this and it has been a hard slog but we really want to make a go of the business. This competition was exactly what we needed at exactly the right time.”
The pair will be out in the Market Square on Saturday June 18 to get as many people voting as possible. Everyone who votes will automatically go into the draw to win an �800 family holiday for four.
There will be other prizes to win in a raffle on the day as well.
To cast your vote text BABY to 62555 or vote online at takeonesmallstep.co.uk. The winner will be announced on July 20.
For more information about BabyCalm visit babycalm.co.uk