Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company Youth Group’s Phantom of the Opera wins four prestigious NODA awards
- Credit: Archant
For the second year running, Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company Youth Group swept the board at a prestigious awards ceremony for regional theatre.
The musical theatre group won four NODA – National, Operatic and Drama Association – awards for its 2013 production of The Phantom of the Opera.
SWMTC youth group picked up the top prize for Best Overall Production in the district at the glittering ceremony at St Neots, a year after the company triumphed at the same awards ceremony with it production of Sweeney Todd.
Prize for Best Youth Performance went to 18-year-old Ed Chancellor, a sixth form pupil at Saffron Walden County High School, who took the title role as the Phantom.
Chairman of the group Fiona Wilson Waterworth said: “It’s an amazing achievement. To win four prizes two years running – including Best Overall Production – is incredible. Congratulations to everyone – and special congratulations to Ed for his well-deserved acting award for playing the Phantom.”
She added: “None of this success would be possible without the incredible support the youth group receives from the talented team of professionals and dedicated volunteers who help with all aspects of putting on a musical, from lighting and set to costumes and sound.
“The youth group just goes from strength to strength and these awards are testimony, not only to the talent and commitment of our young performers, but also to the hard work and enthusiasm of all those working behind the scenes.”
- 1 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 2 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 3 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 4 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 5 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 6 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship
- 7 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 8 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 9 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
The youth group also won awards for Best Youth Production and Best Technical achievement – shared with Anything Goes, from the society’s parent company.
SMWTC youth group has a long tradition of nurturing theatrical talent with many former members progressing to top drama schools, before eventually finding professional work, including in the West End.
• Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company Youth Group will be announcing details of its autumn show in the next few weeks. But any young performers who are interested in taking part in its next production should contact email@example.com or 07799 628977.