Saffron Walden nanny shows caring side by hosting black tie party for Alzheimer’s Society
- Credit: Archant
A nanny from Saffron Walden is to host a black tie party in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society, which has been caring for her father.
Gemma Evans, of Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden, wants the event to raise awareness and money for the charity.
Her dad, Stephen, was diagnosed with the disease five years ago and it has changed her family’s life.
The 25-year-old said: “Dad was diagnosed at the age of 60, and he is rapidly deteriorating. It really started to take hold two years ago and he now needs 24-hour support.
“It has had a massive effect on my family and has made me realise how precious life is.”
You may also want to watch:
There are more than 1,000 people with dementia living in the Uttlesford area and experts believe this will increase by about 30 per cent by 2021.
The Alzheimer’s Society in Uttlesford offers a number of services, including two dementia support services, one based at the memory clinics and another in the organisation’s community-based offices, memory cafes, activity groups, and peer support groups. It has also recently launched a singing group in Stansted.
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 6 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 7 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 8 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
“The Alzheimer’s Society is a fantastic charity and I would love to raise lots of money for it,” said Gemma.
Tickets for the party, at Saffron Walden Town Football Club, in Catons Lane, are £15, two-thirds of which go direct to the charity.
Call 07578 198 056 or e-mail email@example.com for tickets and details.
l For more details about the Uttlesford Alzheimer’s Society, visit alzheimers.org.uk/localinformation or contact 01279 427522 for details.