Saffron Walden nanny shows caring side by hosting black tie party for Alzheimer’s Society
- Credit: Archant
A nanny from Saffron Walden is to host a black tie party in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society, which has been caring for her father.
Gemma Evans, of Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden, wants the event to raise awareness and money for the charity.
Her dad, Stephen, was diagnosed with the disease five years ago and it has changed her family’s life.
The 25-year-old said: “Dad was diagnosed at the age of 60, and he is rapidly deteriorating. It really started to take hold two years ago and he now needs 24-hour support.
“It has had a massive effect on my family and has made me realise how precious life is.”
You may also want to watch:
There are more than 1,000 people with dementia living in the Uttlesford area and experts believe this will increase by about 30 per cent by 2021.
The Alzheimer’s Society in Uttlesford offers a number of services, including two dementia support services, one based at the memory clinics and another in the organisation’s community-based offices, memory cafes, activity groups, and peer support groups. It has also recently launched a singing group in Stansted.
- 1 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 2 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 3 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 6 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Thaxted - Carver Scout Group visit an Apache helicopter
- 9 County council commits to better deal for care workers
- 10 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
“The Alzheimer’s Society is a fantastic charity and I would love to raise lots of money for it,” said Gemma.
Tickets for the party, at Saffron Walden Town Football Club, in Catons Lane, are £15, two-thirds of which go direct to the charity.
Call 07578 198 056 or e-mail email@example.com for tickets and details.
l For more details about the Uttlesford Alzheimer’s Society, visit alzheimers.org.uk/localinformation or contact 01279 427522 for details.