Saffron Walden: No need to politics of party-over-people
I MUST correct Cllr Redfern’s statement that WeAreResidents.org favours building a new town near Great Chesterford; this is simply wrong and scaremongering itself (‘Just scaremongering’, Reporter February 28).
We simply point to UDC’s own five years’ worth of evidence that says that a new town is the best and most sustainable solution to the housing crisis, and not dispersing housing as UDC now proposes. As the UDC cabinet member for housing, Cllr Redfern well knows this and also that UDC’s own analysis points to the fact that the Stumps Cross site is the second most suitable one in the district.
WeAreResidents.org has many members in Great Chesterford who don’t want to see our area destroyed by the flawed planning proposed by the UDC cabinet. As it happens, WeAreResidents.org don’t believe the Chesterford site is deliverable anyway, as there is currently no land for sale and no developer interested.
Cllr Redfern could simply point this out instead of engaging in the politics of party-over-people. Many residents have had enough of national party politics driving a local agenda. That is why WeAreResidents.org is proposing to stand John Lodge as a county council candidate in May to serve the people of both town and village.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 8 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call