Saffron Walden: Park for free throughout July whilst supporting high street businesses
A NUMBER of Saffron Walden’s independent shops have lined up a month of offers to celebrate Independent Retailer Month - and they’re calling on residents to rediscover the high street and show their support.
A number of participating businesses are offering shoppers money off their bill to cover the cost of parking in the town. If you spend £10 you will receive £1 off, £20 £2 off and £30 £3 off.
Jude Cox, of Jack’s Outdoor Wear on George Street, said: “An ongoing issue that customers to the town have is that of parking. We would like to ease this by offering customers money off their bill to effectively make their parking free.”
It is hoped this and other offers throughout July will encourage residents to shop locally, rather than doing their shopping online or at out-of-town centres.
July marks the UK’s third Independent Retailer Month, which aims to raise awareness of thousands of local businesses and increase footfall into town and village centres, helping retailers to stay open for business.
You may also want to watch:
Jude said: “It is a really important time for shops and business like us in the town, and we’re calling on shoppers to come along and see what we have to offer.
“While many people do shop online or at one-stop centres for convenience, there’s no substitute for great customer service and that sense of community that comes with shopping close to home, and we want to remind people of that.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
Saffron Walden Town Team is supporting the independents and will be distributing posters advertising the initaitve to participating businesses.
To find out more about events being held in July, go to @SaffShopLocal or independentretailermonth.co.uk/events