Saffron Walden: Park for free throughout July whilst supporting high street businesses
A NUMBER of Saffron Walden’s independent shops have lined up a month of offers to celebrate Independent Retailer Month - and they’re calling on residents to rediscover the high street and show their support.
A number of participating businesses are offering shoppers money off their bill to cover the cost of parking in the town. If you spend £10 you will receive £1 off, £20 £2 off and £30 £3 off.
Jude Cox, of Jack’s Outdoor Wear on George Street, said: “An ongoing issue that customers to the town have is that of parking. We would like to ease this by offering customers money off their bill to effectively make their parking free.”
It is hoped this and other offers throughout July will encourage residents to shop locally, rather than doing their shopping online or at out-of-town centres.
July marks the UK’s third Independent Retailer Month, which aims to raise awareness of thousands of local businesses and increase footfall into town and village centres, helping retailers to stay open for business.
Jude said: “It is a really important time for shops and business like us in the town, and we’re calling on shoppers to come along and see what we have to offer.
“While many people do shop online or at one-stop centres for convenience, there’s no substitute for great customer service and that sense of community that comes with shopping close to home, and we want to remind people of that.”
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
- 3 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 6 Sue Gray report finds lockdown party behaviour was 'unacceptable'
- 7 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 8 'Cat bite could have killed me': Many operations for rescuer
- 9 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 10 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
Saffron Walden Town Team is supporting the independents and will be distributing posters advertising the initaitve to participating businesses.
To find out more about events being held in July, go to @SaffShopLocal or independentretailermonth.co.uk/events