Saffron Walden pedestrian killed on M11 named
- Credit: Archant
A PEDESTRIAN who died after being struck by a lorry on the M11 has been named.
Thomas Claudio Lanham, 18, from Saffron Walden, was pronounced dead at the scene following the collision between Junction 8 and 9 on the southbound carriageway of the motorway shortly after 10pm on Monday night (July 29).
The man was hit by the lorry on a stretch of the motorway about a mile south of Chestnut Avenue, Saffron Walden.
Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the collision and have appealed for witnesses to come forward.
A section of the carriageway was closed for about five hours while forensic collision investigators carried out their enquiries to determine the cause of the crash.
Four fire crews from Saffron Walden, Stansted and Newport were called and left around midnight.
A spokesperson from East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) said: “We received a call at 10.14pm to reports that a person had been hit by a lorry on the M11.
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 4 School activities and sports in pictures
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 7 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 9 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 10 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
“East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) sent vehicles from the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART), a land ambulance, a Rapid Response Vehicle, and a response car from East Anglian Air Ambulance.
“Sadly the casualty was pronounced deceased at the scene and our thoughts are with the family and friends at this tragic time.”
Officers have asked any witnesses to call the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or e-mail email@example.com