Saffron Walden plans its first ever Maze Festival
TO celebrate its unique maze heritage, Saffron Walden is planning its first ever Maze Festival later this year.
Saffron Walden is unique in having three distinctive mazes: the famous Common turf maze, the Victorian hedge maze in Bridge End Garden and Michael Ayrton’s Sun Maze sculpture at the Fry Art Gallery.
Now the organisers – Saffron Walden Initiative – are hoping that residents will create their own permanent or temporary mazes which will form part of a Saffron Walden’s Maze culture and could be on display during the festival, which will be held between August 20 and 28.
During the festival new mazes will be created around the town and there will be a wide array of maze-based events, challenges and entertainment for people of all ages.
Barbara Wilcox, from the organising team, who has created a mini-maze wall number plaque for her house, hopes that individuals, families, businesses and groups will be inspired to grow, paint, sculpt or build mazes in their homes and gardens.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to create a record-breaking number of mazes around Saffron Walden and celebrate all things ‘maze’,” she said.
“Mazes can be created in many different mediums and styles and we know that Saffron Walden residents are an artistic and creative bunch and we really hope that people will rise to the challenge and make Saffron Walden the most A-Mazing place in Britain.”
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 8 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
Submitted photos of mazes may be displayed on the Maze Festival website and included in Maze publicity for festival week.
The Maze Festival will include:
? New outdoor mazes
? Maze-based games
? Tours of Bridge End Garden’s Victorian maze
? Talk by international maze expert Jeff Saward
? Maze–inspired music, drama and poetry
? Themed film programme at Saffron Screen
A website for the festival is expected to be up and running within the next few weeks.