Saffron Walden plumber meets Government minister
- Credit: Archant
PLUMBING apprentice Martyn Lee was one of a small group of students chosen to meet Skills minister Matthew Hancock during a high profile visit to Cambridge Regional College (CRC).
The 23 year-old from Saffron Walden is an advanced plumbing apprentice who works for Kidman Plumbing and Heating, based in the town.
He chatted to the minister about the advantages of being able to study at CRC as well as work through the apprenticeship, before showing Mr Hancock the state-of-the-art plumbing equipment used for training students in the college’s SmartLife Low Carbon Centre.
Martyn was one of a handful of his peers chosen to meet the minister as he toured CRC, visiting the college’s media department and motor vehicle workshop before going on to the construction faculty.
Mr Hancock, who was shown around the college by principal Anne Constantine, said he had been impressed by the students’ enthusiasm and the college’s engagement with employers.
He also praised the college’s work in helping people achieve their potential.
“The engagement between CRC and the employers and the enthusiasm of the students I met were both highly impressive,” Mr Hancock said.
- 1 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 4 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 5 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 6 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 7 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 8 Former teaching assistant is jailed
- 9 School activities and sports in pictures
- 10 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
“Colleges like this are all about helping people reach their potential and it was good to see that in action.”
He thanked the college for a “fascinating ministerial visit” before going on to meetings with the county council, the Local Enterprise Partnership and businesses.