Saffron Walden pupils put on their dancing shoes for Macmillan
Seventy-five children from a theatre school will be putting on their glad rags this Saturday (June 21) to mark the return of Macmillan Cancer Support’s footloose fundraising event, Dress Up and Dance.
Stagecoach Theatre Arts Saffron Walden will be joining thousands of primary schools and 75 other Stagecoach schools nationwide to don their best fancy dress and support one of the charity, by collecting a £2 donation from every child that takes part.
Stagecoach and Macmillan have worked together to create a fun and educational toolkit, including a DVD featuring Strictly Come Dancing star Lisa Riley and several Stagecoach-choreographed dance numbers, which has been distributed to all of the schools that registered to take part.
On the day, children will be invited to simply follow the dance moves on the DVD to create an energetic and enjoyable dance number.
Principal of Stagecoach Saffron Walden, Laura Blackmore, said: “There’s nothing so uplifting as a group dance but this event is made all the more fulfilling as it’s in support of such a worthy cause.
“All of our students are really thrilled to be involved and to show off their moves whilst raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support.”
Lynda Thomas, Director of Fundraising at Macmillan said: “We were delighted with the success of Dress Up and Dance last year and are incredibly excited that we’re able to bring it back for 2014. Dance is a fantastic way to connect with children and is such an accessible way to encourage children of all ages to engage with fundraising and help Macmillan ensure no one faces cancer alone.”
- 1 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 5 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 7 Sir Tom Jones, Simple Minds, Elbow and the Bootleg Beatles to headline four nights of concerts at Audley End
- 8 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 9 Museum art project to explore 'The Lost Language of Nature'
- 10 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
All the money raised will go towards Macmillan Cancer Support’s vital work providing medical, financial, practical and emotional support to the two million people currently living with cancer in the UK.
Stagecoach Theatre Arts Saffron Walden is part of a network of more than 700 part-time Theatre Arts Schools Worldwide. Early Stages classes are available for children aged 4 to 6 and Main School classes take place for 6 to 18 year olds.
For more information about Stagecoach Saffron Walden, please visit the website www.stagecoach.co.uk/safronwalden or call 01799 588246.