Saffron Walden receives two awards at tourism bash
- Credit: Archant
Champagne was popped last week when Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre collected two coveted awards.
Staff members Mark Judith Thompson, Rachel Thomas and Mark Starte picked up the gongs at the 2013 Essex Tourism & Hospitality Awards bash in Chelmsford.
The TIC was victorious in both the categories it was shortlisted in, Best Tourist Information Centre and Best Tourism Service.
Town clerk Simon Lloyd congratulated the team. He said: “We were all thrilled with the news of the success of the TIC, it is thoroughly deserved and is a reward for their outstanding contribution throughout last year.
“It is also in no small way due to the exceptional commitment of the volunteers, who contribute enormously to the service that the TIC provides. It really is wonderful news.”
In the Best TIC category Saffron Walden was up against Colchester and Southend, while Waldegraves and Cosways Family Holiday Parks and the Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel were shortlised in the Best Tourism Service category.
For this award, the TIC team specifically nominated their box office and marketing service, which has taken off over the last two years thanks to a partnership with Saffron Ticket Systems (STS). It gives customers the opportunity to buy tickets online via saffrontickets.com.
- 1 Essex fire crews tackle around 70 incidents in three-hour window after rain
- 2 Essex A-level results 2022: Students celebrate grades
- 3 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 4 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 5 Newport man vows to protect river after round the world sailing trip
- 6 IN PICTURES: Sir Tom Jones' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 7 MP welcomes increase in police officers across Essex
- 8 Dance in the Square heading to Saffron Walden
- 9 Mischief Theatre's The Play That Goes Wrong will have you crying with laughter
- 10 Busy Peasgood picks up medals at home and abroad
Mark added: “We have a popular comedy night in the Town Hall with people like Jo Caulfield and Jeremy Hardy performing. Two thirds of tickets for that are now sold online thanks to our new partnership with STS. We are very grateful to STS for their input, which, without doubt, played an integral part in us winning this award.”
The TIC also promotes events on its website visitsaffronwalden.gov.uk, through its bi-monthly ‘What’s On’ publication, and via window and poster displays, e-mail marketing, Twitter (@swtic) and Facebook (facebook.com/saffronwalden).
Next up the team are preparing to apply for the National Tourism Awards in 2014.