Saffron Walden residents leave tributes in respect of murdered soldier Lee Rigby
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden residents have been showing their respects for Lee Rigby, the soldier who was murdered in Woolwich earlier this month.
Since the weekend, people have been laying floral tributes on the town’s war memorial at the top of the high street including messages of support and condolence, pictured.
Bob Curran, chairman of the Royal British Legion, Saffron Walden Branch, said: “It is a good idea and I like it that people have been putting down flowers to show their respect and support for the poor lad and his family.”
The war memorial is a focal point in the town that many people possibly only think of on the dates of the major ceremonies such as Remembrance Sunday. The wreaths that are laid during Remembrance Sunday are removed at the end of April.
But the tributes that have recently been laid by townsfolk stand out fresh and proud.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to see more people using the war memorial to pay their respects and remembering people they’ve lost,” added Mr Curran.
Drummer Rigby was beheaded last Wednesday (May 22) in a vicious attack by two men that shocked and sickened the nation and led to condemnation by political and Muslim leaders who branded those responsible as “scumbags”.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 7 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 8 Stations benefit from funding
- 9 New book features illustrations of Bridge End Garden
- 10 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
The attack took place just a couple of hundred metrrs from the Royal Artillery barracks where Drummer Rigby was stationed.
At the time the Reporter went to press, 10 people had been arrested in connection with the murder. Two men were shot by police and taken to hospital. One has since been released into police custody.