Saffron Walden Round Tablers going that extra mile with Virgin London Marathon run
- Credit: Archant
FOUR members of Saffron Walden Round Table will be going that extra mile to “make a difference” by participating in the London Marathon later this month.
James Cleaver, Jason Thomson, Dean Head and Ian Mercer have been training to get themselves into condition for the event on April 21.
The guys will be running for SPARKS, a children’s medical research charity. Jason said: “Sparks fund research into a number of conditions affecting babies, children and mums-to-be such as childhood cancers, cerebral palsy and Spina bifida as examples.
“Many of us are fathers and uncles and we understand just how devastating it can be to have an ill child in the family, so this makes this even more realistic for us and the pioneering work that Sparks are doing.”
Ian added: “For those who know us locally, we are normally supporting the local drinking facilities in town so this is a total cultural shock to our systems and a tough personal challenge.”
You may also want to watch:
You can find out more about SPARKS on the website at sparks.org.uk.
To support the runners and the charity visit justgiving.com/TeamSwrt or text SWRT99 followed by the amount you are donating to 70070.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
- 3 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 4 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 5 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 6 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 7 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 8 Saffron Striders take advantage of late summer warmth to stretch their legs far and wide
- 9 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir
- 10 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
• ARE you running in the Virgin London Marathon this year? Let us know about it. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01799 513000.