Saffron Walden running club members to join London Marathon runners in wearing black ribbons as tribute to Boston victims
RUNNERS from a Saffron Walden running club who are preparing to take part in marathons this weekend will remember those affected by the tragedy in Boston on Monday.
Several members from Saffron Striders will be involved in the Virgin London Marathon on Sunday, with two others tackling the Hamburg Marathon on the same day.
All London Marathon runners will wear black ribbons to commemorate the victims of the attack that struck at the finishing line of the Boston Marathon earlier this week. Three people died and more than 100 were left injured after two bombs exploded in the middle of the crowd.
Saffron Striders chairman Nigel Coates expressed his and the club’s sadness at the news, adding: “We were all deeply saddened by the awful scenes the world saw in Boston. Our sympathies go out to everyone affected by the attacks.
“We did not have anyone running in Boston, but our members running in London on Sunday will wear the black ribbons being handed out by organisers and I’m sure will have the Boston victims in their thoughts.”
You may also want to watch:
Organisers of the London Marathon have said the event will go ahead, but investigations are ongoing into the security surrounding it.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 8 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 9 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays