Saffron Walden’s £10m music venue described as “marvellous” on its official opening by The Good Life star Penelope Keith
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden’s £10million world-class performance venue was unveiled today (Saturday, November 30).
Actress Penelope Keith, who became a household name in the 1970s when she played Margo Leadbetter in the sitcom The Good Life, unveiled a plaque to officially declare Saffron Hall open.
Ms Keith described the venue, which is based at Saffron Walden County High School, as “marvellous”, adding: “Saffron Walden is enchanting and this facility will be a lovely addition for the community.”
The event kicked off a weekend of celebration.
A concert by Britten Sinfonia is being held later tonight (Saturday) while tomorrow the hall is hosting an Open House which will see a range of performances and practical workshops demonstrating its scope and versatility.
You may also want to watch:
The hall will be opening its doors between 10.30am and 4.30pm and inviting visitors to see the 730-seat auditorium with retractable seating and stage, the rehearsal space and the purpose-built bar area where refreshments will be served throughout the day.
The spacious foyer and gallery areas will host displays by many of Saffron Walden’s performing arts organisations.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 6 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
During the day, local choirs, dance and theatre groups will put on short performances.
Entrance is free with a day pass that can be booked through the Saffron Hall box office.
• More details about forthcoming events are available via the website: saffronhall.com