Town’s barn owls feature on TV show
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden featured on the BBC’s The One Show when a segment on barn owls living in the Upsheres estate was shown.
The four-minute report focused on 65-year-old wildlife enthusiast Simon Huritz, who has made nesting boxes for barn owls at his home in Upsheres.
Mr Huritz works as a part-time wildlife photographer and installed the boxes in 2011 for the birds, who have been visiting since 2017 with some mating and raising owlets there.
Barn owls number around 8,000 in the UK and rarely visit urban areas.
Mr Huritz told the Reporter: "I've always lived in the countryside and had an interest in wildlife. I wanted to do my bit for wildlife when I retired and barn owls caught my imagination - I just love the birds".
You may also want to watch:
The programme was filmed in July and aired on December 11.
- 1 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 2 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 3 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
- 4 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 5 Essex newspapers are 'highly commended'
- 6 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 7 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 8 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 9 Audley End apple festival is this weekend
- 10 Winter wonderland coming to Cambridge as The North Pole ice rink returns