Saffron Walden's Market Square finished!
SAFFRON Walden s new-look Market Square was unveiled to the public today (Friday) almost two weeks ahead of schedule. The controversial �170,000 project began on March 1 and displaced the market, held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to the car park on Saffron
SAFFRON Walden's new-look Market Square was unveiled to the public today (Friday) almost two weeks ahead of schedule.
The controversial �170,000 project began on March 1 and displaced the market, held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to the car park on Saffron Walden Common for eight weeks.
Town Clerk Malcolm White said he was delighted with the finished look and said that it was a "real improvement".
The Reporter took to the streets to find out just what the people of Saffron Walden felt about the new Market Square and asked them, was it worth it?
You may also want to watch:
Sue Purkiss from Rickling Green said: "It looks good, much bigger than I expected. I'm really quite impressed. I think the one problem might be the oil from the cars, so the council will have to keep their eye on it."
Terry Thorne from Auton Croft, Saffron Walden, said: "It's not too bad, but I don't think it was worth all the fuss and there is a danger that people will abuse it.
- 1 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 24, 2021
- 2 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 3 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 4 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 5 Time to teach 'pandemic puppies' new tricks, charity says
- 6 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 7 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 8 When Covid-19 restrictions lift, will we ever shake hands again?
- 9 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 10 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
It actually looks a lot like Riga [in Latvia]. It's very oldy-worldy and fitting for a market square.
Annette Wallace from Newport said: "It looks fantastic and I think they've done a good job. It's just a pity that there are cars parked on it - Saffron Walden has enough car parks as it is.
It should have been pedestrianised. It would have been really lovely with some trees and benches so that people could have a place to come and sit."
What do you think of Saffron Walden's new-look Market Square? Let us know by email firstname.lastname@example.org