Saffron Walden's Market Square finished!
SAFFRON Walden s new-look Market Square was unveiled to the public today (Friday) almost two weeks ahead of schedule. The controversial �170,000 project began on March 1 and displaced the market, held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to the car park on Saffron
SAFFRON Walden's new-look Market Square was unveiled to the public today (Friday) almost two weeks ahead of schedule.
The controversial �170,000 project began on March 1 and displaced the market, held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to the car park on Saffron Walden Common for eight weeks.
Town Clerk Malcolm White said he was delighted with the finished look and said that it was a "real improvement".
The Reporter took to the streets to find out just what the people of Saffron Walden felt about the new Market Square and asked them, was it worth it?
Sue Purkiss from Rickling Green said: "It looks good, much bigger than I expected. I'm really quite impressed. I think the one problem might be the oil from the cars, so the council will have to keep their eye on it."
Terry Thorne from Auton Croft, Saffron Walden, said: "It's not too bad, but I don't think it was worth all the fuss and there is a danger that people will abuse it.
- 1 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 4 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 5 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
- 6 Stansted Airport boss confident that passenger numbers will rally
- 7 Radical women of Saffron Walden walking tour
- 8 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 9 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
It actually looks a lot like Riga [in Latvia]. It's very oldy-worldy and fitting for a market square.
Annette Wallace from Newport said: "It looks fantastic and I think they've done a good job. It's just a pity that there are cars parked on it - Saffron Walden has enough car parks as it is.
It should have been pedestrianised. It would have been really lovely with some trees and benches so that people could have a place to come and sit."
What do you think of Saffron Walden's new-look Market Square? Let us know by email email@example.com