Saffron Walden's Market Square finished!
SAFFRON Walden s new-look Market Square was unveiled to the public today (Friday) almost two weeks ahead of schedule. The controversial �170,000 project began on March 1 and displaced the market, held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to the car park on Saffron
SAFFRON Walden's new-look Market Square was unveiled to the public today (Friday) almost two weeks ahead of schedule.
The controversial �170,000 project began on March 1 and displaced the market, held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to the car park on Saffron Walden Common for eight weeks.
Town Clerk Malcolm White said he was delighted with the finished look and said that it was a "real improvement".
The Reporter took to the streets to find out just what the people of Saffron Walden felt about the new Market Square and asked them, was it worth it?
You may also want to watch:
Sue Purkiss from Rickling Green said: "It looks good, much bigger than I expected. I'm really quite impressed. I think the one problem might be the oil from the cars, so the council will have to keep their eye on it."
Terry Thorne from Auton Croft, Saffron Walden, said: "It's not too bad, but I don't think it was worth all the fuss and there is a danger that people will abuse it.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 4 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 5 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 6 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 7 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 8 Reflections: A World War One soldier who was killed in battle
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
It actually looks a lot like Riga [in Latvia]. It's very oldy-worldy and fitting for a market square.
Annette Wallace from Newport said: "It looks fantastic and I think they've done a good job. It's just a pity that there are cars parked on it - Saffron Walden has enough car parks as it is.
It should have been pedestrianised. It would have been really lovely with some trees and benches so that people could have a place to come and sit."
What do you think of Saffron Walden's new-look Market Square? Let us know by email email@example.com