Saffron Walden’s Tory MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand at the next General Election
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand in the General Election.
The Executive Committee of the Saffron Walden Constituency Conservative Association (SWCCA) met last night (Thursday, February 13) to re-adopt the Tory candidate for next year.
The 76-year-old will be fighting his 10th election in Saffron Walden, the constituency he has represented since 1977.
Speaking after the meeting, Sir Alan said: “I am delighted to be re-selected and I look forward to fighting the next General Election.
“It has been very heart-warming to hear the amount of vocal support that I’ve had and the party is now united behind me.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I have not lost the appetite for the job. It’s a job I have craved since my student days and it’s a job I love doing. I am still determined to try to help people the best I can.
“Whilst everyone will not agree with me, I try to ensure that their views are heard and taken into account.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 6 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 7 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 8 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 10 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
“I hope that on the big issues for the constituency, I speak up effectively in Parliament and I look forward to continuing to do so.”
Rumours had been circulating about whether he was too old for the job and there were suggestions that he planned to retire.
Sir Alan denied the claims and before last night’s meeting told the Reporter that he had every intention of continuing in his role.