Saffron Walden’s Tory MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand at the next General Election
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand in the General Election.
The Executive Committee of the Saffron Walden Constituency Conservative Association (SWCCA) met last night (Thursday, February 13) to re-adopt the Tory candidate for next year.
The 76-year-old will be fighting his 10th election in Saffron Walden, the constituency he has represented since 1977.
Speaking after the meeting, Sir Alan said: “I am delighted to be re-selected and I look forward to fighting the next General Election.
“It has been very heart-warming to hear the amount of vocal support that I’ve had and the party is now united behind me.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I have not lost the appetite for the job. It’s a job I have craved since my student days and it’s a job I love doing. I am still determined to try to help people the best I can.
“Whilst everyone will not agree with me, I try to ensure that their views are heard and taken into account.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
“I hope that on the big issues for the constituency, I speak up effectively in Parliament and I look forward to continuing to do so.”
Rumours had been circulating about whether he was too old for the job and there were suggestions that he planned to retire.
Sir Alan denied the claims and before last night’s meeting told the Reporter that he had every intention of continuing in his role.