Saffron Walden’s Tory MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand at the next General Election
- Credit: Archant
Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand in the General Election.
The Executive Committee of the Saffron Walden Constituency Conservative Association (SWCCA) met last night (Thursday, February 13) to re-adopt the Tory candidate for next year.
The 76-year-old will be fighting his 10th election in Saffron Walden, the constituency he has represented since 1977.
Speaking after the meeting, Sir Alan said: “I am delighted to be re-selected and I look forward to fighting the next General Election.
“It has been very heart-warming to hear the amount of vocal support that I’ve had and the party is now united behind me.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I have not lost the appetite for the job. It’s a job I have craved since my student days and it’s a job I love doing. I am still determined to try to help people the best I can.
“Whilst everyone will not agree with me, I try to ensure that their views are heard and taken into account.
- 1 Walden club requests you donate your unwanted tools
- 2 Holidaymakers fly abroad again out of Stansted Airport
- 3 Award for carpentry apprentice who follows her father into the industry
- 4 Mayor presents vouchers to help foodbank clients
- 5 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 6 Hoarding can cause higher risk of fire, says emergency service
- 7 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 8 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 'No link' between postponed Essex weddings and registrars’ consultation
“I hope that on the big issues for the constituency, I speak up effectively in Parliament and I look forward to continuing to do so.”
Rumours had been circulating about whether he was too old for the job and there were suggestions that he planned to retire.
Sir Alan denied the claims and before last night’s meeting told the Reporter that he had every intention of continuing in his role.