Saffron Walden school delight as work begins on all-weather pitch
- Credit: Archant
Schoolchildren are celebrating this week after work began on an all-weather sports pitch which will be hired out for use by Uttlesford sports clubs.
RA Butler Academy, in South Road, Saffron Walden, secured planning permission for the £100,000 scheme earlier this month and the hope is it will be complete by the summer term.
School business manager Claire Hopkins said the pitch, which will cater for sports such as football, netball, hockey and basketball, would enhance sporting provision at the school.
She told the Reporter: “We’re quite excited because we’ll be one of only a handful of primary schools in the area to have a facility like this.
“It’s great for our children and builds on a move to increase sports provision, which comes on the back of the hiring of a new sports co-ordinator last September.
You may also want to watch:
“The school will be able to use the pitch whatever the weather, both for lessons and clubs, and the facility will also benefit the wider community.
“In time we hope to grow our links with local sports clubs by offering them the chance to rent the pitch, so we’d like to encourage anyone interested to get in touch.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 9 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 10 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
Money for the project came from the Education Funding Agency’s Academies Capital Maintenance Fund.
Work got under way last week and is likely to be finished during the Easter holidays.
Sports clubs interested in hiring the pitch have been asked to contact the school.