Saffron Walden school delight as work begins on all-weather pitch
- Credit: Archant
Schoolchildren are celebrating this week after work began on an all-weather sports pitch which will be hired out for use by Uttlesford sports clubs.
RA Butler Academy, in South Road, Saffron Walden, secured planning permission for the £100,000 scheme earlier this month and the hope is it will be complete by the summer term.
School business manager Claire Hopkins said the pitch, which will cater for sports such as football, netball, hockey and basketball, would enhance sporting provision at the school.
She told the Reporter: “We’re quite excited because we’ll be one of only a handful of primary schools in the area to have a facility like this.
“It’s great for our children and builds on a move to increase sports provision, which comes on the back of the hiring of a new sports co-ordinator last September.
“The school will be able to use the pitch whatever the weather, both for lessons and clubs, and the facility will also benefit the wider community.
“In time we hope to grow our links with local sports clubs by offering them the chance to rent the pitch, so we’d like to encourage anyone interested to get in touch.”
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 5 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 9 Essex drink driving figures revealed as police launch Christmas crackdown
- 10 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
Money for the project came from the Education Funding Agency’s Academies Capital Maintenance Fund.
Work got under way last week and is likely to be finished during the Easter holidays.
Sports clubs interested in hiring the pitch have been asked to contact the school.