Saffron Walden Societies Showcase another a great success
THE Societies Showcase held on Saturday (September 8) in the Town Hall was once again a great success, with many of the clubs and societies on display reporting great interest and signing up new members and volunteers.
The organisers, Saffron Walden Initiative, were very impressed by the high standard of visual displays of many of the stands.
Throughout the day a steady stream of visitors were able to see the plans for the new auditorium at the County High School and discuss plans for the grand opening next year.
One of the new societies this year, Saffron Walden’s Youth Choir ‘Signuptosing’ was publicising its coming season for singers aged 8 to 18, including the autumn project, Rain and Shine.
The Allotments and Leisure Gardeners’ Association, also new this year, were delighted to explain how membership can ensure the preservation of allotment rights.
Saffron Walden Initiative itself presented plans for the next Maze Festival planned for August 2013, including the launch of a search for short plays inspired by Saffron Walden or Bridge End Gardens and written by local writers.
The Museum Society held its challenging competition inviting visitors young and old to guess the use of various objects from the Museum’s collection, baffling many. The first prize winner was Roger Mann of Castle Street, Saffron Walden and Miss D Reed from Debden Road, Saffron Walden was second. Both receive free membership of the Museum Society for a year and John Lewis gift vouchers.
- 1 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 2 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 'No barbecues' urge firefighters amid dry weather in north-west Essex
- 5 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Driving ban and unpaid work for Stansted man who punched police officers
- 7 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 8 Set times for The Bootleg Beatles and From The Jam's Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 9 Walden Bikers break fundraising record at eighth birthday gathering
- 10 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
In the under 16s category Errin Baker of Audley Road, Saffron Walden and Cecily Hannam of Hadstock put in excellent entries and will receive WH Smith gift vouchers.
The mayor and mayoress, David and Sharon Watson, spent over an hour chatting to stall holders. Spaeking afterwards, Cllr Watson said: “Saffron Walden has always been renowned for its community spirit. Nothing reflects this better than the clubs and societies it has.
“The exhibition itself is inspirational and a wonderful showcase of what the town can offer. Saffron Walden Initiative should be congratulated.”