Saffron Walden student chef makes it to live cook-off heats of top competition
- Credit: Archant
A student chef will be putting her culinary skills to the test after winning through to the regional heats of a top competition.
Maria Kovacheva, 24, of Horn Brook, Saffron Walden, is one of a team of three Cambridge Regional College (CRC) students shortlisted for the live cook-off heats of the Brakes Student Chef Team Challenge.
She impressed the judges with her carefully chosen dishes for a three-course menu – all proven hits with visitors to the college’s Park restaurant.
Maria and her fellow team members, Jenny Polhil, 19, and Yuan Lee, 18, will each cook one course at the Midlands and East Anglia heat at Stratford on Avon on March 7, one of seven regional heats.
The country’s premier competition for student chefs attracted a record 87 team entries from colleges throughout the UK, with 52 shortlisted for the cook-offs.
You may also want to watch:
Teams will have just under two hours to prepare, cook and serve their three-course menu for four people, judged by a panel of top chefs. The winning team will go through to the finals at Hotelympia 2014 at Excel in London on April 28.
The CRC team will be cooking celeriac apple soup with hog fritters, pan-fried venison with saladaise potatoes and dark chocolate cherry fondant with white chocolate ice cream.
- 1 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 4 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 7 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 10 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021