Saffron Walden summer of fun starts with Cinema in the Square
- Credit: Archant
A summer of free events in Saffron Walden starts with Cinema in the Square on Saturday, May 28, with a showing of Hairspray.
The film is free entry for all and it’s bring your own seats, but there is a competition being run by sponsor Angela Reed Furniture for four comfortable chairs and free food and drink all evening.
The film also marks the start of Saffron Screen’s 10th anniversary celebrations, which includes a series of special screenings.
The summer fun schedule includes Jazz and Blues in the Square on June 18 with Andrew Rankin of The Pogues in a band called Mysterious Wheels supported by Saffron Walden County High School Jazz Band.
Theatre in the Square on Saturday, July 9 has The Pantaloons performing Gulliver’s Travels and The Saffron Walden Maze Festival will be over the weekend of August 20 and 21.
You may also want to watch:
Before the screening of Hairspray, John Waters’ film, set in 1960s Baltimore, there will be a dance display by Pure Rhythm and the movie will be followed by an hour of 60s music and dancing for all.
Dressing up, singing, dancing and beehives are actively encouraged at this event which is free and open to all. However, the Market Square is limited to 500 people, so admission will be on a first come, first served basis.
- 1 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 2 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 7 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 8 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
Entry from 6.30pm, dance display 7.15pm. Film 7.30pm.
The events have been organised by Saffron Walden’s Town Team, the Tourist Information Centre and Saffron Walden Town Council with additional support from Uttlesford District Council and Saffron Screen for this first event.
To enter the Best Seat in the House competition, see: http://angelareed.co.uk/pages/cinema-in-the-square.