Saffron Walden tennis club serves up refurbished courts
- Credit: Archant
Wielding wooden racquets Saffron Walden Grove Tennis Club took to the courts to celebrate their newly refurbished Astroturf and club house on Saturday (July 11).
Dressed in tennis outfits through the ages, members enjoyed strawberries and cream, freshly baked scones and a traditional wooden racquet tournament.
Simon McInnes, public relations manager for the club, said: “It was great. As we have invested so much into the courts we need to try and get the message out there that the courts are in great condition and get some more members.
“It’s all volunteer work and effort put into managing the club, so the event was to commemorate that and celebrate what we have achieved.”
Members were delighted with their new Tigerturf surface and freshly decorated club house and enjoyed their afternoon alongside the Wimbledon women’s final.
Mr McInnes added: “What an afternoon it was. With perfect weather, delicious cakes and some glorious tennis we could not have asked for more. It was a great way to serve up our new courts to the members and everyone was in high spirits - the jugs of Pimms probably helped.”
The club, located on East Street, Saffron Walden, is open to players of all abilities and ages.
For more information visit: www.grovetennis.org.uk
- 1 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 2 District Council leader John Lodge to step down next week
- 3 Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 6 MP Kemi Badenoch launches 'Buy One More Toy Appeal' for Christmas support
- 7 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 8 Community helps with tree planting at Lime Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 9 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 10 How to get tickets for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022