Saffron Walden to get new maze in time for summer festival
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden is to get a new maze in time for this summer’s Maze Festival.
A paved pattern design will be installed on the floor of the bandstand in Jubilee Gardens, adding to the turf labyrinth on the Common and the puzzle hedge maze in Bridge End Garden.
Maze Festival spokesman Jonathan Miller said the new maze will be laid over the existing surface of concrete slabs and will be made of block paving in contrasting colours of charcoal grey and light brown.
He added: “The installation will be available to anyone, children or adults, to explore the delights of labyrinth walking while also providing an attractive smooth surface for the concerts and arts exhibitions which already take place in the bandstand.”
John Ready, of the Saffron Walden Initiative, designed the labyrinth and will supervise its construction. He presented the design to town councillors last Wednesday, who gave their backing to the project.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We are very grateful to the council for giving us permission and we hope it will be formally opened during this summer’s Maze Festival by our keynote speaker – an internationally-renowned maker of mazes.”
The maze festival will run from August 16-19 and will include a range of maze-related events such as games, art, theatre and talks.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 4 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Stations benefit from funding
- 7 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 8 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 9 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 10 New book features illustrations of Bridge End Garden