Saffron Walden to get new maze in time for summer festival
- Credit: Archant
SAFFRON Walden is to get a new maze in time for this summer’s Maze Festival.
A paved pattern design will be installed on the floor of the bandstand in Jubilee Gardens, adding to the turf labyrinth on the Common and the puzzle hedge maze in Bridge End Garden.
Maze Festival spokesman Jonathan Miller said the new maze will be laid over the existing surface of concrete slabs and will be made of block paving in contrasting colours of charcoal grey and light brown.
He added: “The installation will be available to anyone, children or adults, to explore the delights of labyrinth walking while also providing an attractive smooth surface for the concerts and arts exhibitions which already take place in the bandstand.”
John Ready, of the Saffron Walden Initiative, designed the labyrinth and will supervise its construction. He presented the design to town councillors last Wednesday, who gave their backing to the project.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We are very grateful to the council for giving us permission and we hope it will be formally opened during this summer’s Maze Festival by our keynote speaker – an internationally-renowned maker of mazes.”
The maze festival will run from August 16-19 and will include a range of maze-related events such as games, art, theatre and talks.
- 1 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 2 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 3 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 4 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 5 'Pup Idol' comes to Saffron Walden as search for Wizard of Oz pooch Toto begins
- 6 Juniors the toast of Saffron Walden Golf Club after double championship success
- 7 Q&A: Elsenham WI President Moyra Jackson
- 8 NCTJ staff raise more than £7,000 for journalism bursary
- 9 There With You This Winter: Walden Mayor backs our campaign
- 10 Saffron Striders hit the Cambridge Half Marathon en masse