Saffron Walden traffic lights saga rumbles on as town councillors blast Essex counterparts
- Credit: Archant
The disruption to residents following the installation of a controversial traffic light system in the centre of Saffron Walden was “contemptible” and an “absolute disgrace”, said councillors in a meeting held last Thursday.
Councillor David Watson introduced the debate, arguing the overnight roadworks on Debden Road, Mount Pleasant Road and Borough Lane over the last seven weeks have caused a “vast amount of disruption for residents.”
“The way residents have been treated in the last few weeks is an absolute disgrace,” he added. “These are people with children kept up all night...it is contemptible. It’s a disgrace and shameful – this is something that they do not want.”
The town’s mayor, Cllr Sandra Eden, said she and Cllr Keith Eden, who live on Friends Walk, had personally experienced some of the disruption, and she sympathised with residents affected.
“If it was my garden that they had been ripping up they would have known about it,” she added.
Cllr Ben Balliger said: “Someone should be held to account. What are they are going to do to make sure this doesn’t happen again?”
Cllr Mike Hibbs added: “Someone found themselves tipped out of a mobility scooter when trying to cross Borough Lane,” he said.
- 1 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 2 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 3 Thaxted businesses meet Kemi Badenoch MP to talk about Small Business Saturday
- 4 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
- 5 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 6 Q&A: Alan Hawkes of Rotary in Saffron Walden
- 7 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
- 8 Astronomy: What to look for in the Essex sky in December
- 9 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 10 More funding needed to support Afghanistan refugees, leaders warn
“If there isn’t going to be a serious accident I should be very surprised.”
The council voted with an overwhelming majority in favour of sending a strongly-worded letter to Essex County Council with their feelings on the subject, on Cllr Doug Perry’s suggestion.
Only Cllr Ketteridge abstained, adding: “I don’t agree with the intemperate language used...we should discuss this in a level headed manner,” he said.
A spokesman for Essex Highways last week apologised for the disruption caused to residents.