Saffron Walden: Triumphant Jaguar XJ Sport car award-winner is going on national show
- Credit: Archant
A CLASSIC car fanatic is hoping to turn his newly-crowned, award-winning motor into the Champion of Champions.
Earlier this month Nigel Butterworth, of South Street, Great Chesterford, took home the Club Challenge Trophy at the annual Jaguar Drivers’ Club XJ International Day held in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Now the 77-year-old’s XJ Sport will take centre stage at the NEC in Birmingham for the biggest classic car show in the UK.
He told the Reporter: “Winning [at the international day] was a fantastic feeling because a lot of work has been put into the car over the last two months.
“I am now looking forward to Birmingham – it is going to be a great event.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Butterworth, who used to race Jaguar cars in his youth, added: “I originally bought the car in the late 90s but after visiting shows people kept telling me to start competing. I never expected it to become this successful.
“Now I would say it is just about the best Jaguar XJS in the whole of England.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 3 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 6 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 7 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 8 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 9 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 10 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town
“It has been going in for competitions since 1997 so I think I should gracefully retire at the top of the tree – that way I can give other people a chance.”