Saffron Walden: Triumphant Jaguar XJ Sport car award-winner is going on national show
- Credit: Archant
A CLASSIC car fanatic is hoping to turn his newly-crowned, award-winning motor into the Champion of Champions.
Earlier this month Nigel Butterworth, of South Street, Great Chesterford, took home the Club Challenge Trophy at the annual Jaguar Drivers’ Club XJ International Day held in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Now the 77-year-old’s XJ Sport will take centre stage at the NEC in Birmingham for the biggest classic car show in the UK.
He told the Reporter: “Winning [at the international day] was a fantastic feeling because a lot of work has been put into the car over the last two months.
“I am now looking forward to Birmingham – it is going to be a great event.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Butterworth, who used to race Jaguar cars in his youth, added: “I originally bought the car in the late 90s but after visiting shows people kept telling me to start competing. I never expected it to become this successful.
“Now I would say it is just about the best Jaguar XJS in the whole of England.
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
“It has been going in for competitions since 1997 so I think I should gracefully retire at the top of the tree – that way I can give other people a chance.”